The Dubai Municipality has ruled out food poisoning as the likely cause of the death of a nine-year-old boy after his family suffered vomiting and dizziness on Saturday.
Awad F. K, an Indian child with special needs, was declared dead at Al Baraha Hospital. His family was rushed to the hospital at noon on Saturday.
In a statement issued on Monday, the Food Control Department, which conducted a preliminary investigation, said the symptoms suffered by the family and the deceased child are typical of toxins, either biological or chemical.
Bobby Krishna, Senior Food Studies and Surveys Officer said that according to the preliminary report, the food-borne investigation team thinks the cause of the symptoms and death was not due to food poisoning.
He noted that the symptoms appeared after eight hours the family took a common meal and five hours after taking the next meals home.
“It is documented that the bacterial toxins cause the poisoning after one hour (on an average) from taking the foods which are suspected to cause the food poisoning.”
The relative of the family didn't suffer from any food poisoning symptoms although he ate the same meal from the restaurant which was the only common meal taken by the family and their relative.
Neither the Food Control Department nor the Dubai Health Authority received any notification from the restaurant at which the common meal was taken. “It is worth mentioning that the restaurant has sold the same meal to 19 customers on the same day,” Krishna said.
He said inspectors found that restaurant complied with the food safety standards approved by the Municipality.
Krishna said the food-borne investigation team will be on alert and will coordinate with Dubai Police and Baraha Hospital to resolve this issue to know the reasons for the illness and the death of the child.